Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The First Wednesday's Here!

Thanks Alex J. Cavanaugh


Optional Question: What do you love about the genre you in most often?

The awesome co-hosts for the February 7 posting of the IWSG are Stephen Tremp, Pat Garcia,Angela Wooldridge, Victoria Marie Lees, and Madeline Mora-Summonte!
Please stop by and say to them.
And come by TickTock's Facebook Page. We'd love to see you there.


http://cleemckenziebooks.com
The question today is perfect for this post on the new Tick Tock blog. I usually write contemporary/realistic fiction or when I'm writing for younger readers, I love fantasy/adventure. I'm comfortable in each of those categories. 

Writing about modern day youth--their problems, their triumphs--takes me both backward and forward in time. What I've discovered is that a lot has changed in the teen world since I dwelled there, but the underlying universal issues are the same: Love. Loss. Insecurity (this seems to lurk everywhere). One mistake after another. Emotional highs and lows at every turn. Buckets of angst. And sometimes death before a teen is prepared to cope with it. There are no end of themes, so I love writing these stories, and I aim them at the young adult/crossover level, so a lot of my readers said goodbye to their teens a while ago.

When I need a break from reality, I love to write for middle grade readers who want to jump into fantasy and adventure. It's fun for me to imagine impossible events that a twelve-year-old might be a part of: time travel, ghostly encounters, or a journey though the backside of a computer game. 



Well, now that I've told you about my usual writing, let me introduce you to my short story in Tick Tock, A Stitch in Crime. It's called Heartless, and it's obviously not either a young adult or a middle grade piece of fiction. I found that I enjoyed creating a story with detectives, crimes, and murders for a bit. 

I set Heartless in Chicago in 1871 because that's when The Great Fire destroyed 300 lives,18,000 buildings and left 100,000 residents homeless. I also wanted to explore the Victorian period with its strict social codes. I loved how macabre it was to have someone murdering young girls in a time when an unmarried couple couldn’t travel in a closed carriage together and the word “leg” was not permissible in polite conversation--"limb" seems to have passed the moral litmus test though. 

The challenge I had in writing Heartless, was keeping the tone of the period without making it too stiff for a modern reader. Remember, I'm deep into the teen and middle years language. I had none of that to rely on. I guess reviewers will tell me if I succeeded. 

Here's how Heartless begins:  

October 6,1871 

Journal Entry

A swath of pale pink paint across her cheekbones and her face glowed with vitality. Her eyes glistened in the light of my workroom. Even now, as I write this, I roll my head to ease the strain across my shoulders. Months of intense labor and still the final touches remain undone.

I can’t believe I began a new project tonight as well. I didn’t plan to, but I couldn’t resist. She was unexpectedly accessible and a perfect match for my needs. So, in spite of being exhausted, I had to clean the knife before returning it to the tool chest, then wash every surface until all of the dark fluids drained into the hole at the center of the sloped floor. I hadn’t needed the metal pot tonight, so at least I didn’t have that to manage. 

My last chore was to check the ice storage to be sure all was in order there. I’m smiling just recalling that moment.

Tonight, I spent hours longer than I planned, and I’d have been late to the dinner if I hadn’t pulled myself away immediately. So very hard to do. When I’m not quite finished, I hate to leave.

With great reluctance, I drew a soft blanket around her shoulders. Before dousing the light and pulling the door behind me, I glanced back. I’m eager to dress her in the gown, and I must restore her hair straight away. It looks so alluring curled around the nape of her neck. 

I’ve named her Alexandra.

***

The End...No, just kidding. I hope you'll get your copy of Tick Tock, A Stitch In Crime. You can pre-order and copies will be available May 1. Add it to your TBR list on Goodreads! Join us on Facebook




33 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading your story (and everyone else's). Love the fact that it was okay to say limb, but not leg back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's also a funny story about people putting lacy covers on their piano legs. It might be a myth, but it's laughable.

      Delete
  2. Half of YA's readers are adults. I think people like looking back from the safety of adulthood. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and they love to reconnect with that time.

      Delete
  3. That is a great scene, Lee! I'm intrigued. Is he a Dr. Frankenstein? Or perhaps Jack the Ripper? Ooooh. I love the Victorian period too. So funny about their social mores, then all the debauchery underneath :)

    Also, the Facebook link you used above is to our private page, Tick Tock Backstage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lee. This scene is awesome! I was pulled right into your story--can't wait to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YA Fiction is the best.
    Historical fiction is also incredibly fun to read.
    Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think YA is a marketing tool; as Diane pointed out most YA readers are adults. I know most of mine are.

      Delete
  6. Writing for middle grade sounds more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a kick out of creating outrageous plots. Must be the kid inside me.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It's always interesting to me to read historical fiction.

      Delete
  8. Love your stories. Looking forward to this one. You should write a craft book on writing for middle grade. I would be interested as I have no idea but the level does interest me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this one is a step into the adult world with horror. I'm fairly new to this, but I did write Premeditated Cat that's published in For The First Time. That was YA with a touch of horror. Thanks for faith that I could teach anybody anything about writing. I'm still trying to teach myself. :-)

      Delete
  9. I wanted to read more even though I knew it was only a teaser. Great job, Lee.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. Hope you enjoy all of the stories in the anthology.

      Delete
  10. Oooh, the teaser is definitely a draw! Can't wait to see how that comes out :)

    I can't say I've been tempted to write for YA, but my kid's books have been a blast (though they may be for children in name only). Love mysteries too, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun to write for kids. I just love losing myself in the stories whether I'm writing them or reading them. Let's hear it for the mysteries in this anthology.

      Delete
  11. Love that snippet!! Can't wait to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This story sounds really cool. Can't wait to read more of it and the rest of the collection. While I find YA to be a bit of a hit or miss for me, middle greade seems to go over better, while adult fiction is my clear favorite. I guess, for me, I didn't really relate to my peers when I was a teen so reading about that perspective isn't always so nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some is a bit too "teeny" for me, but I've found a few that hit it out of the ballpark. You're right. The YA category is very uneven in it's adult appeal.

      Delete
  13. I can't stand teenagers. I hated myself when I was one, and I don't look forward to when my kids hit that age. :-|

    Your story looks great, can't wait to read the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we all hate ourselves when we're teens? I thought that came with the number 13. :-)

      Delete
  14. I still have chills after reading your excerpt. Creepy. Best wishes with the anthology and new sites.
    JQ Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JQ. I kind of creeped myself out with this one. :-)

      Delete
  15. Your story is terrifically terrifying. You know how to set tension, make us care about the characters, and draw us into the story. I am so thrilled and honored to be sharing the pages of this anthology with you.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a beautiful job with Heatless! And I'm thrilled that you found the task surprisingly enjoyable.
    I mean just because we write murder . . .
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the historical perspective in this story.
    Great job, Lee!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most appreciated!